Victorian gas company browses basin

MELBOURNE-based Karoon Gas has started testing its Boreas-1 well in the Browse Basin: the first well to be bored in Phase 2 of the company’s drilling program intended to explore the Greater Poseidon Trend offshore northwest WA.
Phase 2 will involve the drilling of at least five wells, with the option of completing a further three.
Boreas-1 is in WA-315-P, about 4km south of the company’s Poseidon-1 well. The extent, presence and quality of reservoirs within the fault block will be tested, and flow rates will be assessed in an interval of 70m (between 4904m and 4974m) in the primary Plover formation.
Throughout the well clean up, Boreas-1 exhibited flowing gas at 30.2 million standard cubic feet per day and a flowing wellhead pressure of 3300 pounds per square inch absolute. According to a company statement, “these initial test flows are encouraging for the remaining test program at Boreas-1”.
The data collected from Boreas-1 will be combined with existing results for the previously drilled Poseidon-1, Poseidon-2 and Kronos-1 wells in WA-315-P, in addition to 3D seismic data, to determine the size and structure of the Greater Poseidon Trend.
Phase 2 will be continued in WA-398-P with the drilling of Zephyros-1, which will test a fault block 9km west of the Kronos-1 well; and Proteus-1, which will test a fault block 15km east of Zephyros-1 on the eastern flank of the
Greater Poseidon Trend. Once Karoon Gas has assessed the results, a suitable development option will be pursued.
ConocoPhillips is the operator of the jointly-held WA-315-P and WA-398-P Browse Basin permits with a 60 per cent interest, while Karoon holds the remaining 40 per cent.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>